23 January 2006

Werkin...

I spent the first half of the day in meetings and the second half of the day working on PowerPoint briefs that will likely never see the light of day except for the once or twice when a VIP cares to find out what it is that we do here. That's pretty frusterating.

Yesterday I was talking with Katie on her cell phone and for one reason or another the phones cut out. She was on the train at the time so I figured that she had just gone through a tunnel and had lost the signal. I didn't call her back because I figured it probably wasn't a good idea to be chattering away in English on the train so I didn't call her back. Probably a bit too sensative on my part, being deployed and all. Naturally she was a bit worried, but I didn't put it all together until she called me. It sounded like despite the worrying she held up like a trooper, she sounded very cheery on the phone.

This picture is one I took of the castle at Heidleberg. The small trench surrounded by green grass is what remains of the moat. This castle is what remains after hundreds of years of war. One whole column of the castle was destroyed by (amazingly) the French.

Makes me wonder, what relics will my military leave behind? What will be the lasting artifacts that people go to see in hundreds of years while on vacation? As I think about it, probably only the locations will remain. The things that we use to conduct our business don't really get built up and left behind like this. Mostly we bring out what we bring in. Guess I'll have to ask my grandkids when they're studying history.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, Heidlburg was cool. i've never been more surprised to see or hear that the French actually used their heads. further proof that German brains leak across borders.

04:41  

Post a Comment

  

<< Home