07 June 2006

1LT Watada

On 18 June 2003, Ehren Watada made the following statement when he entered boot camp,
"I, Ehren Watada, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
Shortly after this he also made the following statement,
"I, Ehren Watada, having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of Second Lieutenant do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God."
Now that he's about to get sent to Iraq, he's making the following statement,
"I refuse to be silent any longer. I refuse to watch families torn apart, while the President tells us to 'stay the course.' ... I refuse to be party to an illegal and immoral war against people who did nothing to deserve our aggression. I wanted to be there for my fellow troops. But the best way was not to help drop artillery and cause more death and destruction. It is to help oppose this war and end it so that all soldiers can come home."
For those who don't have the history of the Iraq war memorized, American troops first rolled into Baghdad in April 2003. Two months after Baghdad falls, 1LT Watada holds his right hand high and makes an oath. Now, shortly before heading to Iraq himself, 1LT Watada calls the war illegal. Let me simplify; he joined the Army during the war, but when it's time to head off to that war he tucks his tail and runs.

Note that he left the word "soldiers" with a lower-case 's'. You can read more about this spineless coward on a website that has been setup to document his cowardice.

http://www.thankyoult.org

5 Comments:

Blogger Arcticman Speaks! said...

Hang him.

11:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice of you to quote the oaths in full. Now please READ the oaths in full.

Blind, robotic obedience is NOT the first duty of a US military service member or any US citizen or any human being for that matter.

A US officer and enlisted person's FIRST duty is to protect and defend the US Constitution from all enemies foreign AND DOMESTIC. If a US president launches an illegal war, a war that violates the US Constitution, then all US citizens, including sworn military service members, have a duty to disobey illegal orders.

THAT is the issue.

Your attempt to paint Lt. Watada as a coward is a sad lie based on twisted logic. To publicly disobey illegal orders and publicly face the consequences requires more courage and fortitude than staying quiet and blindly obeying those illegal orders.

Read the US Constitution on your off-duty hours. It's a very interesting document.

22:05  
Blogger MarksMomma said...

You sound like a resonably intelligent person so I'd like to have a civil discussion about this.

First off, please understand that I not only quoted these oaths, I've said them. I have an intimate knowledge of what they mean and the commitment that is associated.

While we're talking about "sad lies based on twisted logic", could you please explain to me how the war is illegal. After rereading the document that I swore to risk my life to defend, I still don't quite understand what makes this war illegal. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

As for his publicly disobeying an order, before we can say whether it was bravery or cowardice I think we need to figure out what the motive was for disobeying it. Let's examine the timeline, which is where I draw my logic from. He joins the Army in June 2003, 2 months after the fall of Baghdad. This means that during the supposed "illegal" war, he agrees to contribute to it. Two years later when the time comes for him to head to Iraq he claims that this is an illegal order. In his "I refuse..." statement his first argument is that families are torn apart. On his website this quote is placed right above a picture of him posing with his father and what I'm assuming is his daughter (at the very least she's a young relative). This leads me to believe that he was more concerned with his own personal interests rather than refusing illegal orders. By this logic, he is a coward.

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything, so far be it from me to knowingly choose to be wrong. Based on my assessment of the situation this war is legal and right. If it can be shown that the war is illegal based on US law I will retract my accusation of cowardice. I will NOT, however, abandon my Soldiers. Until then, this man who was once my peer is nothing more than a coward.

22:51  
Blogger flythemig29 said...

Roger that bandit 3-6. Adjust fire 100 meters left and call for SPLASH when you acquire the target.

14:45  
Blogger Arcticman Speaks! said...

Blind robotic obedience helped win the second world war. Men were drafted, then told to march into battle knowing they would die.... AND THEY DID.It's called courage.Something missing in today's liberal. Thousands and thousands died sacrificing their lives so that today's liberal pussy can cry , whine, piss and moan, believing that if they repeat something as stupid as, "The President committed an illegal act" over and over it will somehow come true and justify their treachery. If they would just STFU and let the heros take care of business I could learn to ignor their lack of duty to country.....again.

16:35  

Post a Comment

  

<< Home